August 2nd, 2012
I read and post to the SketchUcation Forums on a pretty regular basis, asking and answering questions, and posting samples of my work. Recently the kind folks at the Daily CatchUp featured a project I’ve been working on. You can see the post here, and I’ve included some more images below.
I was tasked with the initial modeling and presentation drawings by Fire Tower Engineered Timber, and I’ve recently finished up connection and joinery details.
The project is a working barn. And it is round. ~80′ diameter, working hay loft. Ramps, round tapered posts, traditional mortise and tenon joinery with some custom steel connections. Angled out of plane struts. Conical chevron bracing (a trip to model), and a multi pitched roof. A challenge, and an honor to be able to work on such a project. The entire project was created in SketchUp, then noted and detailed using LayOut, a presentation / page layout program bundled with SketchUp Pro.
July 11th, 2012
Some recent (and not so recent) detail shots from a few job sites I visited this spring. Lovely work by some architects and builders I’ve had the pleasure of working with. Its quite nice to be involved in projects with so much attention to detail and real materials, even if my part is quite small.
July 11th, 2012
A garage in Lake George, NY, nearing final engineering. Detailed production drawings for a couple of pavilions. And a proposal for a small outdoor shelter.
June 27th, 2012
I had the honor of producing a set of working drawings for the Timber Framer’s Guild Old Stone Museum Barn Workshop. The project was picked up by WCAX, and my drawings managed to sneak into a scene. You can view the clip here (sit through the commercial for the timber frame content).
June 22nd, 2012
I posted a new video today that shares an overview of how I use SketchUp + LayOut to create construction documents. Click the link below (having trouble embedding YouTube and Vimeo at the moment).
SkethUp + LayOut Overview
I also have a few other quick tip videos posted:
Paste in Place
Creating a Shell Group to define a project’s geometry and limits.
April 16th, 2012
I’ve had more than a few inquiries regarding our sandbox. Here is an updated image, 2 years on, with a detail sketch of how it is built.
I used cedar fence posts from a local big box home store. I cut these into lengths from 24″ to 32″. I dug a 5-6″ wide trench 8′ in diameter and slid in the posts – varying the height as I went around the circle. Before filling I tamped the posts (which have a variable width) tight, and added a layer of landscape fabric.
I cannot take credit for the design – a family member did this in their yard with firewood, and he borrowed the idea form a local school.
Note that our soil is very sandy, and drains quickly. If I lived where water would collect around the posts I would likely line the bottom of the trench with crushed stone or sand.
July 3rd, 2011
I’m always in awe of the buildings and the landscape at Shelburne Farms. I’ve toured the children’s barn, seen maker’s marks on the timbers, and watched the gravity powered clock tick away while gazing at Camel’s Hump. I always come away humbled.
As an engineer friend recently commented via email about the craftsman of history ‘who were those guys…?’
July 3rd, 2011
A few snaps of recent shop drawings for the Timber Framers Guild (TFG) covered bridge project in Chester, NH. Design and Engineering by Fire Tower Engineered Timber, production drawings, modeling, and detailing by Mike Beganyi. Project sponsored and organized by the TFG.
I brought the engineering team’s 3d solids model into SketchUp, cleaned up the geometry, and working from notes and sketches modeled the joinery and steel connections. Using LayOut I created the 2d shop drawings, adding text, notes, and dimensions. Depending on schedule, I hope to make the drive over to see the final days of assembly and installation.
June 22nd, 2011
The fine folks over at the Timber Framers Guild honored me with a request to prepare a set of shop drawings for a reconstruction project in Poland. Follow along here, on the project blog, and even in the New York Times.
I worked with the engineering team, taking the raw design model and modeling all the typical joinery in SketchUp. From there I detailed and noted in LayOut, then output to PDF. We had 2 sets of drawings – imperial units for the primarily US based lead team, and metric units, for the powers that be in Poland.